Friday, January 21, 2011

The House is still standing...barely

So either the crockpot is the safest kitchen appliance EVER or I am one lucky girl.  Seriously.

Yesterday I decided to make a crockpot meal because, let's face it, it's so much easier to dump a bunch of ingredients in a slow cooker, let them cook themselves, and then move on with your day than it is to actually cook dinner.  So I pulled the crockpot from the closet, threw in my ingredients, put it on low and left for the day.

For the DAY.

The meal magically cooked itself, as all crockpot meals do.  We happily ate and I went to start cleaning up the mess.  I noticed as I spooned the remainder of the Swiss Casserole Chicken into a bowl that the stoneware didn't seem to be level in the bottom of the heating base.  I didn't think much of it.  Until I removed the stoneware.

And realized that a Swiffer Duster Refill had somehow landed in the heating base.  It was just laying there.  It wasn't even burnt.  I suppose I could have kept it and used it but I was so shocked to find it in there that I threw it away (as quickly as I could without hubs noticing what I was pulling from the crockpot).

So, one of two things happened.  Either I'm crazy and I store my swiffer duster refills in my crockpot OR when my mom came to visit and we hastily cleaned up the kitchen, MH saw the duster refill laying out, threw it in the closet (with it landing in the heating base) and I then threw the stoneware in the heating base, you know, where it GOES, without realizing the swiffer refill was in there because I'm short and couldn't actually see into the base. 

My bet is the second scenerio is what happened.

Either way, my house did not catch on fire and I am very thankful for that.

3 comments:

Anji said...

That was lucky. It says a lot for Swiffers too.

"as quickly as I could without hubs noticing ". I've done that before too. My husband never makes mistakes in the kitchen or breaks things - he doesn't know where the kitchen is.



I found your blog on ExposeYourBlog!

Dirty Butter said...

OH My!!! You would expect that to have horrible consequences. The temp of the crock pot must be very low.

And yes, I have cleaned things up before hubby saw what I'd done, too. And I'm sure he has too!!

I follow you on ExposeYourBlog.

Lindsey James said...

Wow, M! I can't believe you didn't tell me about this! You're lucky your house didn't burn down!